Exterior Painting: Expectation Vs. Reality
In a perfect world, you would select your paint for your exterior, a contractor would come do an exceptional job, and when it’s finished, you get to stare in awe at your newly painted home. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. Painting your exterior can feel like an overwhelming task right off the bat. It can feel difficult trying to navigate through each step of your project. We are here to walk you through your exterior painting project and help you know what questions to ask at each stage.
Planning Out Your Project:
Planning your painting project involves lots of moving parts including, staying in budget, choosing durable paint solution, coats of paint, and choosing the right contractor. Your homes exterior paint is a line of defense against outside forces. Picking a durable and maintainable paint matters. Over time your paint might fade, chip, and grow weaker. Though avoiding it might be a temporary solution, it can lead to damaging the materials underneath your paint, leading to maintenance issues later down the line.
First, Do You Need Your Exterior Painted?
You’re probably reading this for a reason – either you just want to change the color of your house or you’re thinking it might need a paint job after years of wear and tear. If you fall into the latter, here’s how you know you need to repaint your homes exterior:
- Wood damage
- Soft spots in your siding can be the result of excess water exposure
- Fading paint
- Check the walls that get exposed to the most sun and look for fading
- Splitting caulk
- Caulking that is splitting around windows or is brittle to touch
How much is it going to cost?
Budgeting properly for your painting project can help the efficiency of the project and take less stress off of you. The average painting costs varies by size of home, condition of current paint and complexity of the project and can vary from $3,000-$6,000. With an investment like this, it is important to weigh your options and find the best fit for you. It is recommended to get 3 different estimates from contractors. Your home is an extension of you; it’s important to find someone that can match your vision with quality service.
How long will the paint last?
- Wood Siding- painted every 3-6 years
- Aluminum- every 4-6 years
- Fiber-cement siding- every 10-20 years
- Painted brick- every 12-15 years
- Stucco- every 5-6 years
Though material plays a factor in an exterior paints lifetime, picking a durable paint for your home can make the difference when it comes to longevity. We’ll talk more about pricing by material below.
What time of year is the best to paint the exterior of a home?
Living in Colorado means beautiful mountain views, breathtaking sunsets, and unpredictable weather. That means your painting project has a small window to get done. This time frame helps ensure the paint can properly dry and look amazing on your house.
- The painting time frame starts in late March – Late October
- Most paints shouldn’t be applied in temperatures less than 35-40° F
- The weather has to be warm enough to allow the paint to cure, even overnight
Although the painting time frame is limited, this give you the opportunity to carefully plan out your project and get the most out of your investment.
Top Paint Solutions To Choose From
When it comes to painting your home, you get what you pay for. Your home is unique. Choose a paint that compliments your homes architecture, while providing excellent quality and durability. Endeavor Exteriors partners with top paint manufacturers like Sherwin Williams Sherwin Williams was founded in 1886 and became a world leader for paint products. Offering a wide variety of products and colors, Sherwin Williams is a trusted paint brand for your home. Check out their inspiration galley!
- SuperPaint Exterior Acrylic Latex
- Paint and primer in one
- Gives a more uniform and smooth finish
- Dirt-resistant and mildew-resistant coating
- Resists fading and peeling
- It can cover light or dark surfaces
- SuperPaint is designed for homes older than 40 years
- Available in flat, high gloss, satin, gloss, and low lustre
- Average Cost:
- 1 Gallon- $50
- 5 Gallon- $330
- Duration Exterior Acrylic Latex
- Repaints only need one coat
- Unpainted surfaces need two coats
- Protects from cracking, peeling, and blistering
- Can be applied in temperatures as low as 35° F
- It should be used on homes younger than 30-40 years
- Available in gloss, flat, low lustre, and satin
- Average Cost:
- 1 Gallon- $65
- 5 Gallon- $315
- Emerald Rain Refresh Exterior Acrylic Latex – thinner, single-coat product, number one product for Sherwin Williams
- Resistant to blistering, peeling, fading, and dirt pick-up
- Formulated to wash off dirt in the rain
- Excellent UV protection
- Can be tinted in VinylSafe colors
- Available in flat, satin, and gloss
- Average Cost
- 1 Gallon- $85
- 5 Gallon- $410
Questions to Ask a Painting Contractor
Painting your exterior is a project best left to the professionals. Approximately three-quarters of the homes built before 1978 contain some lead-based paint. Lead-based paint is a major source of lead poisoning for children and can affect adults. A professional will know how to properly remove this paint and keep everybody safe. Not all contractors are the same. Take you time finding the best contractor for YOU! Here are some great questions to help you decide if your contractor is legit and help you better understand your project and your expectations.
- What is the payment schedule and process?
- What warranty do you offer for your workmanship and materials?
- How long have you worked with your subcontractors or crew?
- Do you specialize in exterior painting?
- How long do you predict my project will take?
- What is your process if the weather is bad?
- Is prep/cleaning included in your estimate?
- Can you provide any customer references?
- Do you have insurance?
- How long do you expect the new coat to last?
Before Your Project:
Now that you are ready to start your project, there are just a couple more things to do to help the efficiency and flow of the project. Surface preparation is crucial for the paint to be durable and look good. Before the painting begins your contractor should start by cleaning the painting surface. An experienced painted also paints a certain way. They should start from the top down. This means starting with roof overhangs, to your siding, then windows and doors, and finally your trims. Your contractor might use a wide variety of tools to paint your home like brushes, rollers, and spray. When you know what you’re expecting from your contractor and vice versa, the project becomes easier and more efficient for everybody.
- Tell your contractor about plants and trees that are important
- Put down a plastic tarp to help protect them (although a good contractor will do that for you)
- Check there is free access to windows, window frames, and roof overhang
- Be sure to trim shrubs and branches that could be in the way
After Your Project:
As your project wraps up, it is important to walk around your house with your contractor and ensure that the painting job was done exactly how you wanted it. Picking the best contractor for you helps ensure your home will be painted the way you envisioned it.
Now, as you stare at your beautiful, freshly painted home, it is important to know how to maintain it. Every two months, check for mold and mildew on your homes exterior. If you see some, remove it as soon as possible.
Pay attention and look for gaps and cracks, as well. If those are present, you can use some caulk to fill those gaps and cracks When it comes to chips and cracks, know your contractors warranty and reach back out when needed.
Picking The Best Contractor
Now that we know the entire process of painting your home’s exterior it is important to have a trusted and reliable contractor to help you along the way. Well…look no further because Endeavor Exteriors is here to help. We ground ourselves in clear communication, transparency throughout the whole project and compassion for the customer experience. For us, it is more than just a paint project. It is an experience we want you to remember forever. We care about your needs and expectations and we strive to fulfil them the best we can. Schedule an appointment now and start making your home, your dream home.
Author: Makenna Peters